Friday, October 14, 2005

Up Against It

I’ve suddenly got a few minutes to scribble and that’s a rare thing. Part of the challenge, part of the reason why I’ve only got forty-four stories done so far, is because I’ve been working a lot and I’ve got a family. I don’t have a lot of time to concentrate. I took a step in the right direction lately by moving to a company where I can work about forty hours a week, as opposed to the sixty or seventy hour weeks that I have been working for years. So things are getting better and that’s why I can even conceive of the goal I’ve set for myself.

I haven’t done the math yet, but I’m thinking I have to crank out something like a story and a half a week to reach the thousand mark in the next thirteen and a half years. Theoretically, I’m capable of doing that. I have written a few stories each in six hours or less. That’s from initial idea to printed and into the envelope for submission. However it wasn’t always six hours in a row. Sometimes it was over the course of a couple of days. Nevertheless, I think I can do this and this blog is here to kick me into gear when I need it.

So although I might not have worked on it otherwise, tonight my goal is to work on the prime candidate for story number forty-five, "The Purpose of the Machine." Not a terribly science fictiony story but by a stretch of the imagination it may be seen as fantasy.

If anyone’s interested they can read some of my older stories at my website, Stimulus: http://www.geocities.com/exciteyourmind2000/

My newer stories are making the rounds at various magazines and I’m hoping that you’ll eventually be able to read some of those in print elsewhere.

No comments: