Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wherein I Am Revealed To Be A Big Stoopidhead

See that church in my last post? That wasn't my church. I told you my sister, Deb, could explain more. She did. Also, she's actually seven years younger than me rather than eleven years older. I guess I had forgotten that as well.

Here's the deal: I looked up Plainfield, Connecticut Congregational Church online. Why? Because Plainfield is the name of the town it was in. Sounds sensible so far, yes? Okay, except the town is split into four parts. One of those parts is also named Plainfield. My old church was in the part called Central Village and there was another Congregational church in Plainfield. Why a town of 14,000 people needs two Congregational churches is beyond me, but there you go. I'm not the only one to make this mistake. Those National Registry people obviously thought I went to that other church as well.

Now here's the really embarrassing part. First off, the following pictures are from Jerry Dougherty's Connecticut on Fokti.com Check out the other pics in that album if you want to see my childhood stomping grounds. All right, here's a photo of my real church, taken from the same angle as the other one.



I know what you're saying. You're saying, "What are you, fucking high? This church doesn't look anything like that other church!"

And to that I say, "Well, it does, in that it's boxy with a big pointy thing on top."

So I'm an idiot. But the mystery of the Grange is solved. It is sitting there next to the church where it's supposed to be. Here's a picture of the Grange from the same site.

No comments: