Friday, August 13, 2010

Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children



Welcome to new follower Keith! He's a Mangophile! My second favorite kind of phile!

Just want to get this out before I die, because it's already been twenty years: Go find copies of Dave Louapre's and Dan Sweetman's brilliant thirty issue run of Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children, one of a slew of groundbreaking comic titles born of the 1980s. The titles alone should make you smile and if not, check out the cover gallery. The above pic is the cover of issue #1 (but you probably figured that out because you're clever), entitled A Cotton Candy Autopsy in which a group of clowns go on a drunken crime spree. I so wish I still had my collection.

5 comments:

spaceVulture said...

So I'm kinda scared to ask, what's your first favorite kind of phile?

I'll make you a deal, I'll check out the "Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children" if you go see "Scott Pilgrim vs the World."

I just saw this movie and although you could call it emo or hipster (whatever that means), its full of pop culture, gamer, and geek references that make it too good to miss. And it's by the Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead guy.
OK, I'll check out the "Stories" anyway, but consider it.

Matthew Sanborn Smith said...

My favorite is the Matthewsanbornsmithophile which, sadly, does not occur in nature.

A lot of people are worked up about Scott Pilgrim, but the trailer didn't do anything for me. If I keep hearing good things about it, maybe I'll go. It'll be easier than the time you're going to have trying to track down BSFUC (a rather rude sounding acronym, don't you think?).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Simon said...

Mike Patton's (of Faith No More fame) high school band Mr Bungle used some of the artwork from A Cotton Candy Autopsy as cover art for their first, self-titled, album. (Well worth a listen to hear surf/metal with lyrics cribbed from 'Grease'.)

Matthew Sanborn Smith said...

That's quite cool!